Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Skills

I need to jot down some of Annaka's new skills before I forget. Sorry if this is a boring read but sometimes I use this blog as much for myself as to keep you all updated. That way I can look back later and know when things happen.

Annaka is definitely starting to understand words. When we say "bye-bye" she waves (we used to have to wave first and then she would wave back). When I say "Dada's home" she looks at the basement door...and sometimes will even go over and look for him through the kitty door. When we say "all done" she holds her hands out, palms up. When I show her a picture of a cat in a book and say "kitty kitty" she looks around the room for one of our kitties. Annaka is also starting to point and she will sometimes point at the correct person/object when we say "mama", "dada", "kitty kitty", ball, etc. She still is not consistent with this though.

Annaka has shown interest in feeding herself with a spoon. We got her some small spoons at the store last weekend and she really likes to do it herself. She needs some guidance getting food onto the spoon but then can get it to her mouth fairly well. Of course it is really messy...but hey - she's learning!

Annaka is walking like crazy. She can turn corners, bend down and get something, and catch her balance. She still falls a decent amount but she is getting really good. She will often cruise the circle in our house (entry way to hallway to kitchen to dining room then back to entry). She will hold on some of the time but not at other times. The picture at the right really captures how Annaka spends a lot of her time....walking around holding as many things in her hands as possible. The green blanket is her most favorite thing to drag around followed closely by dish cloths (wet is better), shoes (with laces), tupperware containers and lids, and the remote.
She is still adjusting to walking outside where the ground is not flat. She has a little wagon that she pushes that helps her keep her balance. She walked halfway down the street the other evening before getting tired!
Speaking of tired...Annaka has been sleeping a ton lately. I think all this walking and moving are really tiring her out...or perhaps she's having a growth spurt. This morning she slept in until 8!! And has also been napping the last hour.

No comments: